OVER 125 YEARS OF CLUB HISTORY
The Highlands of Scotland must be one of the most attractive locations to come and play golf, with Kingussie having been at the forefront in the area since the game was first played here in 1890. In 1895, Kingussie Golf Club invited OLD TOM MORRIS of St Andrews, to advise on the best way to set out a new golf course on the same site. Then in 1898 he advised on changes to three of the holes he had previously designed.The following year marked the official recognition of the club by the R & A, with a nine hole course laid out on the west side of the River Gynack by Capt MacHardy, Chief Constable of Inverness-shire - at the considerable expense of £8.
Following a local disagreement, golfers were ejected from the land later that year and had to make do with a temporary layout on the other side of the town, at Kerrow. However the dispute was short-lived and the next season saw the return of golfers to the original course. Seven years later, the first clubhouse was built, subsequently replaced in 1904 by a ‘slightly more pretentious’ construction, which itself proved inadequate for the growing numbers and was itself demolished to make way, in 1911, for a new clubhouse, at a cost of £500, the main part of which still remains as the core of the present building.
Kingussie Golf Club originated in June 1891 after a meeting was held in the town to create a golf club for the area. The meeting voted in a president, Mr MacPherson, vice president, Provost MacPherson, Secretary, Mr Jas Pullar and Treasurer, Mr Warren. It was decided they would look into getting a designer in place to give advice on the lay out of the golf course. Later that month, Mr MacHardy, Superintendent of Inverness-shire walked the area of Glen Gynack and advised on his thoughts for the best way to lay the course. On the 8th of July 1891 the golf course officially opened with many locals in attendance with a keen interest.
In 1907, HARRY VARDON had a three day visit to Kingussie where he walked the land across the River Gynack adjacent to the original course. He set out plans for a further 9 holes of the golf course and play started on this land later that year.
This period also saw the expansion of the course to a full eighteen holes, albeit different to today’s layout. Having played an exhibition match in 1906, Harry Vardon’s advice was sought for the expansion of the course to the other side of the river, and the modifications necessary to the original holes with the new course opening in 1908. Subsequent to this, in the late 1920s significant alterations took place for the closing holes, and in 1990 a new 10th hole was created.
Since this time, Kingussie golf course has had some very small changes, but the layout of the course is much the same as the original designs from two of the worlds best know Golf Professionals and Course architects